Saturday, November 22, 2008

Is sarcasm un-Christian?

My poll is still open till next week but I am leaning towards a blend of three choices. Make it private, reserve my sarcasm and "wit" for the weekends and pack heat:) So, is sarcasm un-Christian? I know the Bible is pretty clear on "judging" others but I don't see anything I can relate to sarcasm.

My thoughts are that if you use sarcasm and the people hearing/reading it get the sarcasm then well, it is hard to say it is "Christian." But I also have a hard time seeing it as being un-Christian. My first thought is that if it is not seen as Christian then it must be un-Christian. But if you use that argument then is bowling un-Christian? I mean sure you can have fellowship with others discussing the Bible while you bowl but you could also be gossiping about others which is definitely un-Christian, Romans 1:29. But is the act of "bowling" one or the other?

So maybe sarcasm, like bowling, is neither and both at the same time. Just as a gun is not good or evil until it is in some one's hands. Then it takes on the intentions of it's master.

I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people but I keep a list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
David Sedaris

Al

3 comments:

Heather said...

Did I miss something? What happened? It's not like someone sees a blog by accident. I'm always amazed at how some people intentionally subject themselves to something that they don't like and then complain about it! If I don't like something, I just avoid it. Seems like a simple concept. . . . I say you keep it as it is (and pack heat as needed)!!!

Jan Redelsperger said...

Well Said, Al. Your sarcasm and wit amuse me and it adds a bright spot to my day. I check your blog before I read my kiddo's. Love being able to keep up with the five of you. We are granparents of 6 now. They all live way to far away. Love to you both Jan

Jan Redelsperger said...

PS After pondering on your blog for a few minutes it struck me that Jesus certainly used sarcasm to make a point, and so did Paul.