Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sometimes parents know what they are talking about

As we are in the middle of "why storm" with the Triplets, I try to take the time to answer them. I really do want them to ask and or think "why" or "why not" as they get older. I know this is a HUGE pain sometimes and will pester people along the way but I always think back to my time working "outside the home." I really do not like yes people. Keep in mind there is a very fine line that is constantly moving between not being a yes man/woman and being an inflexible selfish pest that just needs to learn to cierre la boca and tow the line sometimes. Sorry about that, I had a flash back to being a manager:)

I know it is a tall order but I want my kids to learn to find that line and dance on it. So when they pepper me with whys I try to get to the "oh" that comes once they are satisfied. Or they are least tired of asking:) Either way, I win! But sometimes my answer is predictive. Like when I say "be careful sitting there" and the answer to "why" is "because you may fall down." Their usual answer as they are starting to sit or right after they sit down is usually "I won't/didn't fall down." But every once in a while natural consequences, as a good friend calls them, takes care of confirming that Daddy and/or Mommy was/were right.

Be careful Jackson



Natural consequences.



Nobody ever did, or ever will, escape the consequences of his choices.
Alfred A. Montapert

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
Dave Barry (1947 - )

Al

No comments: