Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rule #4

I am constantly adding to my list of "House Rules." My latest is "I will never make you eat anything that tastes good." I have told the Triplets this many times over the past two years so I figure it is time to put it in the rules:)

I was reminded of our "House Rules" at VBS yesterday, yep - it is that time of year again, several kids did not want to "play" the games I had for them. In the first game I would ask everyone to close their eyes then I would put a sheet over one of the kids. I then asked them, who sees an angel? They would have to guess who the angel is. I do not make kids be the angel and several opted out by saying over and over and over "I don't want to be an angel!" I would then tell them a version of our rule #2: I will never make you have fun. They seemed perplexed by this, as perplexed as a three or four year old can get, but they accepted my answer.

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.
Esther Dyson, Interview in Time Magazine, October 2005

Do something everyday that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.
Mark Twain

Al

No comments: