Friday, January 9, 2009

Am I crazy AND alone?

If you have read my blog before you can probably answer yes to the question in the title. Not crazy in the clinical sense, at least not as of today:), but crazy in that what I do is quite often not "normal." I always say normal is boring:) Also not alone in the sense that I feel like I am missing something and longing to connect with others but alone in that my views are not held by others.

The CFO, friends and family are always saying I need a break from the kids. The weird thing is that when I do "take a break" I feel guilty. Not only that but I do miss the kids too:) But I think the bigger thing is my pride in being a stay-at-home Dad. I mean this is MY job! When I worked outside the home (that still sounds funny to me) I would NEVER let someone else do my job. If things got tough at work, my competitiveness would come out and I would just work harder.

I know, this is weird right? Or maybe it is just because I have only been staying at home with them for eight months and it will wear off with time. But when the kids are at their day out program I can justify it because I am cleaning the house, doing errands, or working in the yard. Or when we are at the YMCA I am using the time to get in shape.

Mimi and Grandaddy are outnumbered at Lunch:)




I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Al

1 comment:

JFo said...

You do need a break. From what I can tell from your posts, you're an achiever; it's core to your personality. It was when you worked in an office, and it is now that you raise your kids full time. But you need a break not necessarily for the day that you take it but for the other days that follow. You need to recharge yourself and maintain personal activities that refresh and invigorate you that aren't kid-related.

After reading the subject and then the post, I got a little lost as to in what ways you might be crazy or alone, but it seems like you were saying you're crazy and alone in not thinking you need a break from your kids. It's hard to take a break when there is cleaning and laundry and cooking to do. But I would add some kind of personal time to your list of things that "have to be done" while the kids are at their day out. And I would make it the first thing on the list. If you don't, you'll find reasons in the moment to not take that break. At least, that's what happens to me when I don't prioritize the break.

You owe it to yourself and your kids to give yourself that break so that you can return to them with some refreshment and the knowledge that you're taking care of yourself as well as taking care of them.