Thursday, September 3, 2009

Forgive me if I correct you...

I frequently find myself saying PLEASE and THANK YOU. Not just in normal conversation where I feel that I do a pretty good job of being polite but also correcting the kids. You know how it goes:
  • Triplet: "I want more"
  • Me: "Please"
  • Triplet: "I want more please"
This happens ALL the time. I usually try to tell them they need to "ask nicely" but a lot of times I just cut to the chase.

This is all well and good but seeing as I spend all my time with the Triplets I am now correcting other people. I don't mean to but it is now habit. I try to warn most people I spend a lot of time with but I sometimes forget. So if I correct you please forgive me:)

That being said I think it is a good idea for us to use please and thank you more. It drives me CRAZY when I hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you. Or how about the car you let in front of you and the driver doesn't wave to say thank you? I also try to say please and thank you to the Triplets as I am a firm believer that the way you talk to them is the way they will talk to you. I know kids do as I do not as I say. Now if I can just do as I say too:)

There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence.
Henry Adams (1838 - 1918)

Al

No comments: