Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Yard work and maintenance

I decided to combine the last two as they are the duties that men usually do around the house.  Thus, most of the stay at home moms I know don't usually handle them.  I do know some that do but most do not.  This is where I think it can be a bit tougher being a SAHD than a SAHM.  I won't even get into the fact that society as a whole looks down on SAHDs a bit and some people even use religion (the worst thing to ever happen to God) to ridicule men that stay at home with their kids.  No, I won't get on the soap box this time but I always keep it close:)

Yardwork:
  • Weeding - I detest weeding!  The CFO helps out with this but there are only so many hours of daylight when she is home.  Yes, I know the kids can help but you try teaching three three year olds the difference between a weed, a plant you want and poison ivy:)
  • Edging/weed-eating - If you have ever used a gas trimmer then you know what it feels like to get hit (in the face, shin, arm, etc...) with rocks, sticks, grass, etc...
  • Mowing - I try to mulch but with the kids not in a day out program this summer the grass is usually so high I need to bag it.
  • Blower - Yep, I am a bit picky so I blow everything after I am done.  That also ensures a nice even layer of dirt on every inch of exposed skin:)
I have avoided planting for the most part and watering.  The CFO usually does those and/or directs it being done and we got a sprinkler system put in last year.

Maintenance is one of those on-going joys (pains) that goes along with home ownership (paying the bank to let me use it).
  • Filters - You have your HVAC (heating/air) filters, water filter(s), and any others around like an air purifier filter.
  • Lights - With CFLs (compact florescent light) you don't have to change them as much but then you need to be careful not to break then and take them to recycling.  But I am sure EVERYONE knows that as they have mercury in them.  
  • Leaks - Toilets, drains, sinks, faucets, etc... if water goes through it, into it or out of it, it will eventually leak.
  • Vehicles - Thank goodness we just have the van to worry about but you still have to stay on top of everything.
  • Everything else - It seems that the Triplets have a way of finding the weak spot in anything and exploiting it.  People, furniture, toys, etc...  Guess who gets to fix it?  Yep, me!
After listing all the stuff a stay at home parent does and going into it a bit of detail on each one you might think I am whining.  Just the opposite.  I am proud to be a SAHD as I know that there are very few men/people willing to do it and even fewer capable of doing it well.  I won't say I am great at it but I should at least get between a "meets" and "exceeds" on my next review from the CFO:)

My mom said the only reason men are alive is for lawn care and vehicle maintenance. 
Tim Allen 

Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Al

1 comment:

Ryan said...

SOOO true...GET on that soapbox sometime...I'd love to hear ya.