Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A lot goes into pool time

As a side note to the duties of a stay at home parent is the trip to the pool.  Many see it as a benefit, to take your kids' to the pool.  Let's take a look at the work that goes into making that happen.

 The Triplets have been going to the pool a good bit lately.  The CFO and I take them most weekends and I take them two to three times during the week.  Sometimes it is to the YMCA, but it is pretty packed.  We have started using the pool at my Mom's apartment complex.   It is a great facility and is usually not busy at all.  They also have a bathroom close to the pool in the clubhouse and a covered area where we eat.   They even have a gas grill out there if I am every brave enough to cook while there.

Since we are headed out I need to pack our lunch.  If I know the day before that we are going I can get a head start by asking the TOD (Triplet of the day) what they want for lunch the next day.  That way I can start packing before the TOD is awake the next morning.  Lunch usually consists of:

  • Sippy cups of water
  • Sandwiches: Peanut Butter and honey/jelly or turkey and cheese
  • Snack: Cheese-its, chips, cheesy poofs, etc...
  • Fruit: Strawberries, bananas, blueberries, oranges, etc...
  • Desert: AKA: bribery:)  Double Stuff Oreos, Fig Newtons, etc...

Now that lunch is packed it is time to get the kids and me ready. As we have been going to Grandma Jack's pool a lot I don't have to pack for the showers.  But we do need to pack the pool stuff:

  • Noodles
  • Life Jackets
  • Squirting guns
  • Goggles
  • Splash balls
  • Towels

Now that we are ready to go all I have to is get everyone in the van.  Oh yeah, and get sunscreen on everyone.  If you have ever tried to put sunscreen on a three year old then you feel my pain, times three:)  Then we have the potty breaks.  The rules stay the same with potty breaks, one goes, we all go.  Unfortunately it is VERY chilly in the bathroom.  We usually play for about an hour then we eat lunch, well half of it anyway.  Then we play for another hour before eating the other half.  During the play time I rotate who goes without a life jacket.   I have to keep reminding them that they cannot swim yet.  Usually when I take the life jacket off they jump right in saying "I can swim."

After we get done swimming all I need to do is take them home, give them a bath, hang up the life jackets to dry, wash our swim suits/towels, clean out the cooler and get them down for a nap.  Just another day in paradise:)


We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett


Al

No comments: