Thursday, July 1, 2010

No talking with food in your mouth

Just when you think that your kids don't listen....

I have been trying to get the Triplets not to talk with food in their mouths.  Jackson first started opening his mouth to show me there was food in it when I would ask him a question when he was eating.  Thankfully now he just points to it.  The other day I was on the phone with my Mom while eating a snack.  Out of nowhere I hear this "Daddy, don't talk with food in your mouth."  I had no choice but to comply.  I don't want to be one of "those parents."  You know the ones that say "do as I say, not as I do":)  Keep in mind that I expect them to follow the rules better than I do, I just won't say that phrase.

That brings me to my soap box.... I am amazed at the number of people (parents) that expect their kids to speak kindly and respectfully to them but they do not speak that way to their kids.  Granted, I may be seeing people at their worst (I have my moments) but I think it is all too common for adults to speak down to kids while expecting kids to be respectful to the adults.  Or maybe those kids are just getting an earlier taste of hypocrisy:)  


Many of us believe that wrongs aren't wrong if it's done by nice people like ourselves.  
Author Unknown

Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to speak it to?
Clarence Darrow (1857 - 1938)

One thing you will probably remember well is any time you forgive and forget.
Franklin P. Jones

Al

1 comment:

RunningKicksButt said...

I am guilty. :-( Sadly I have my moments where I am not the kindest to anyone including my two darling little ones. I am sure that it is a bad example. I pray they have the better sense not to act and sound like their dear worn out mom and behave like proper children. Thanks for the reminder--I shall try to work on this. Honestly--I will.