Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No, I am not above bribery

I have been against bribery in all forms, up till now. You know it happens in politics, government, private business, etc... Quid pro quo is the way of the world. But I wanted to be different! I was just kidding myself by calling them rewards. I finally got real with myself yesterday in the grocery store when I told William I would let him have a cupcake after dinner if he went all day without pooping in his pants AND he pooped in the potty. Of course he was more than happy to agree to that.

I decided to bring on the peer pressure by telling Jackson and Addison that they too could have a cupcake after dinner if William followed through on his end of the bargain. They also happily agreed to the terms and conditions. Right then and there I told myself "self, this is bribery plain and simple." The funny thing was/is that I am OK with that.

As most plans it worked and it didn't. I think William has a future as a lawyer or negotiator. William did as he promised. He pooped in the potty and did not poop in his pants. So after dinner everyone had a cupcake. William then promptly pooped in his pants. COME ON! Yes, he did what I asked but... can't he follow the spirit and not just the letter of the agreement:) So for that he earned being first to take a bath, a VERY short and cold bath.

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope
Alexandre Dumas Père

Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.
Unknown

Al

No comments: