Friday, October 15, 2010

A rant on Candidates

If you are wondering where I am getting the time/energy for this little rant it is because I have just finished my second Monster of the day at 11:45pm on Thursday.  The website for the company I am contracting with just gave me this message:  "This site is either undergoing maintenance or is experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.    Thank you."  I feel like they just broke up with me by saying "it is me, not you"  :)  lol

Back to my rant...  I have jumped back into a world that few people get to see... the other side of the application.  I know it is a pain and painful to look for a job, apply for a job, and interview with a company. You know why?  Because people are IDIOTS!  The position I am recruiting for clearly states that they want candidates with a 4 year Bachelors degree.  I get High School students and people with a BA from a two year Community College, I think they mean B.S.  :)

Hey, I have been on the other side of the table but like I always say, hate the game, not the player:)  PLEASE, PLEASE only apply for the position you are qualified for and that you WANT!  I cannot tell you how many people are "willing" to take a job.  Wow!  Thanks for doing me the favor of filling a position where you will make everyone else unhappy as you bemoan about how you really want to be a (insert other job) but you took this job to pay the bills.  Not to mention we then have to train you, fix your mistakes then backfill your position when you find another job that is "in your major."

If I sound angry it is because I am channeling the younger me.  I have learned how to laugh at this.  It is part of the job.  But it is also the reason you don't get a response every time you apply for a job.  It is also the reason that it is not easy to apply with many companies much less get an interview.  They want to see how bad you want to work with them.  Unfair?  Yes.  But you know what's fair......   it comes to town once a year:)

P.S. I got 3hrs and 15 mins of "work" in today.


Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier.
Blore's Razor

Resume: a written exaggeration of only the good things a person has done in the past, as well as a wish list of the qualities a person would like to have. 
Bo Bennett 

If you call failures experiments, you can put them in your resume and claim them as achievements. 
Mason Cooley 


Al

No comments: