Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy Halloween

Halloween is my favorite holiday! No, it has nothing to do with the commercialization of Xmas or the fact that Thanksgiving is totally skipped by retailers, it has to do with the idea of fair play. Every other holiday I know of is dependent on some part, if not a large part, on wealth. Better gifts, better food, better parties, etc... but not Halloween. It is the great equalizer. Sort of like the Department of Motor Vehicles. It does not matter if you are poor or rich, what race you are, if you are good looking, skinny or in shape, EVERYONE gets the same candy when they go to the door. I am sure some people give better stuff or more candy to kids they know but I would say 95% of the time everyone is equal. It does not matter if you have an expensive costume or if you are dressed like a homicidal maniac (you look like everyone else), you get candy. Kids from lower income areas can go to higher income areas to trick or treat, Democrats can go to Republican neighborhoods, anyone can go to anyone's house (except for those LAME people that don't turn their lights on) and get candy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and Thanksgiving but Halloween is the one time of year you can be anyone. Heck, it is encouraged. For our small group Halloween party we dressed up as our best friends and everyone thought it was hilarious, especially them.

We had two Firemen and a Dalmatian from our house.



I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween.
Unknown

Al

2 comments:

Marie said...

I've never thought about Halloween in quite that manner before. I now have a new perspective. Equalization - what a great idea!

Lynn Leaming said...

ummmm I would be one of those "lame" people, but hopefully the fact that I have reasons for not participating makes me a little less "lame". I actually spend the time praying against all the evil that is also embraced on this day. This is just one quote: "Satanic High Priestess Blanche Barton, on The Church of Satan web site, praises Halloween:
It [Halloween] gives even the most mundane people the opportunity to taste wickedness for one night. They have a chance to dance with the Devil . . . I see Satanists all over the world meeting in small groups this night and Hallowe’ens 500 years hence, to raise a glass to the Infernal Hosts. . ."