Friday, November 6, 2009

Get outside!

I love Fall! Long sleeves and shorts are probably my favorite things to wear and I will wear them until next Summer. My rule of thumb is that unless the high for the day is below 30 degrees I am wearing shorts. I do change this rule if I will be outside all day. Maybe the high would needs to stay above 50 then:)

No, I do not use this rule for the kids but I do put them in long sleeves and shorts a lot. I get a lot of looks from other parents while we are outside as most kids look like they are headed on an arctic excursion:) I also do not like coats and I let the kids decide if they want to wear one, on most occasions. Yes, they will actually tell me when they want to wear one. My thought process is that if I am going somewhere for, let's say an hour. I dress for the hour, not the 30 seconds it takes me to walk from the car:)

We have been doing a lot more outside lately for a few reasons.
  1. The weather has ROCKED!
  2. The kids are happier and easier to control outside. This of course does not include yesterday when William ignored me and rode his tricycle away from us when Addison needed to go to the potty. He had to walk back to the van for that little insurrection.
  3. A good friend chides me a good bit for being inside too much:)
  4. We have some GREAT parks around here.
  5. I have finally given in to the CFO's request to give the kids baths daily. So I now almost want them to get dirty to justify the work:)
  6. I do not want my kids to be inside kids.
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
Joseph Campbell (1904 - 1987)

Al

1 comment:

Marie said...

You and my husband would get along wonderfully. I'm not even sure he owns a pair of pants that fit now. As for the kids, he definitely doesn't dress them for the Arctic. Not normally in shorts either, but definitely not bundled up.