Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We all need some Pre-Grace

I have mentioned a few times that the CFO has introduced the idea of "Grace" to the Triplets. Addison has started to fall into the same trap many of us (namely me) fall into, pre-Grace. She will ask for something... like say a brownie. She knows those are treats that they do not get very often but I never hold it against them for asking. But when I say no she says "can I have Grace?" She won't take it THEN ask for Grace, she wants some pre-Grace.

Our Preacher even talked a little about it this past Sunday at Church. He said, and I agree, that Grace is so massive that we can never fully understand it. There is a slippery slope when it comes to Grace. It is all too easy to think, hey, I will be forgiven, so why not....

So if adults can't "get it" then it is an even more monumental task to try and explain it to a three year old. But since I love taking on the impossible or at least the very improbable, I tried. I seemed to talk myself into a circular argument and finally rested on this; "Honey, it is always OK to ask but sometimes the answer will be no. You might not know why the answer is no and it is OK to ask why but you need to accept the fact that sometimes the answer is no." Much like we need to when wanting something or asking God for something, MUCH easier said than done:)

Yep, you guessed it.... she started into a litany of "PLEASE" ending in a choice for her. Time out or stop asking.


I discovered I always have choices and sometimes it's only a choice of attitude.
Unknown

Al

No comments: