Monday, January 17, 2011

Do I own it or does it own a piece of me?

The CFO and I are by no means liberal green tree huggers trying to save the world flying around in our private jet like the "other" Al.  But we do like the idea of getting by with less.  I stress that I like the "idea" but not the reality.  See, I have a real talent for creating wants then turning those wants into needs.  I am also trying to not pass this on to my kids.  My parents say that they have no idea how I got this trait but I have it.... champagne tastes with a beer wallet:)

For me it is usually technology.  We got a new HD camcorder for Christmas that shoots AWESOME video with great sound.  But it writes directly to SD cards.  So then I need to move those videos to another media to store it.  So I figure I will burn them to DVDs and save a copy on an external hard drive.  But guess what?  I need to buy an external hard drive and DVDs.  Then I need to burn the DVDs.  That is after I make them into movies with a movie editor.  So now I am out time and money.

With the Triplets it is their toys.  Let's ignore the fact that they have a knack for breaking the heartiest of toys.  Their most recent victim was their train table.  I think I have a solution but I need to wait till they are in school or down for a nap to try it out as it involves power tools:)  If they don't break the toy then they will break something else with that toy... the wall, another toy or each other.  The cost of toys is the batteries and accessories.  Wow!  That is a cool car... oh, it needs batteries.  What?  It has a garage you "need?"  Oh, and people, no wait, a family that can ride in it.  Oh yes, we definitely need the house for that family.  Wait a minute... they have a vacation home too?

See what I mean.... I feel like I am stuck in the Monty Python skit... Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam.  Or in my case.. stuff, stuff, stuff.  Just to drive the point home our Preacher is doing a series on stewardship.  GREAT!  Now I not only feel bad about all the stuff "I" need (want) but now I want to give more.

A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff.
George Carlin

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. 
George Carlin

Al

No comments: