Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cowboy up

I have always said "shut up or do something about it." So I have been largely quiet about organic foods and buying food locally. I actually have been of the mind set if it is cheaper then that is good. But the more I read, see and learn the more I think that is not always true.

I LOVE documentaries or as I have been known to say docureneries:) I watched Super Size Me and Food Inc. a while back. I have to warn you, if you watch these be prepared to have your stomach flip over a few times. Also keep in mind that these are laser focused on the negative side of things so they are biased to say the least. However it is a bit difficult to make washing meat in ammonia look like a good thing:)

As with most things I watched them, said "EW" then promptly went about my life. But I keep thinking about the choices I make everyday and how they affect how things happen. I am not an activist but as one of the movies says "you can vote with your dollar." So I figure I should start. I have been motivated by a friend so last night I put my first order in with Grow Alabama and Boutwell Farms for fruits/veggies/eggs and meats. It should have several good side effects of eating healthier and planning out our meals.

To knock a thing down, especially if it is cocked at an arrogant angle, is a deep delight of the blood.
George Santayana (1863 - 1952)

A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time.
Alfred E. Wiggam

Al

No comments: